Ask your questions at the bottom of this page.
Rand Hollon, licensed operator and owner of Brick City Pest Control, Rand Hollon, answers some of the most common questions you have about pest control.
What is most important when it comes to pest control?
- Prevention. Prevention. Prevention. With pest control, an ounce of prevention is worth more than a few pounds of cure. Termites cause billions of dollars of damage to Florida homes each year. Preventing a termite infestation is less costly than fixing one. Chinch Bug and German cockroach preventive treatments also cost less than treating an active infestation.
What should I look for in a pest control company?
- Besides technical knowledge, flexibility and communication are most important. Thirty years of experience has taught me that not all customers are alike, even when they are neighbors. We do not provide a “one-size-fits-all” service, our ongoing communication with clients allows us to become familiar and proactive to their specific needs.
I just bought a new home, is it already protected from termites?
- Not necessarily. Even though pre-construction termite treatments are made, the treated area is often disrupted by landscaping, maintenance or other construction. Regardless of your homes age, have your property inspected by a licensed pest control operator each year.
My neighbor next door has termites; does that mean I will get them?
- No. Termite foraging behavior is completely random. However, without proper prevention there are really just two types of homes in Florida homes that have termites and homes that are going to have termites.
I keep my house clean, why do I still have a problem?
- Probably our most common question. Pests gain access two ways — from the outside environment and from you. For example, bed bugs, silverfish, and German cockroaches are carried in by homeowners and their guests. Ants and spiders find their own way in. Our service prevents infestations before they get started.
In 30 years, you’ve seen some bizarre cases. Do any stick out?
- I’ve treated antique cars’ wooden dashboards for termites, a mounted moose head for carpet beetles, a hot-air balloon gondola for lyctid powderpost beetles and a life-size wooden cigar Indian statue for carpenter bees. The largest cockroach infestation I ever treated was in a 12-stall horse barn. With the help of the UF Department of Entomology, we determined that it harbored over 1,000,000 cockroaches.
What bugs are you scared of?
- Spiders. Did I answer that too quickly? I hate to give them a bum rap because I haven’t had any traumatic spider experiences. Maybe it’s because they have eight legs. I don’t have a problem with six legs, but I draw the line at eight.
What are the benefits of using “a local company” like Brick City Pest?
- One large benefit is that our service strategy can change immediately in response to the environment and pest conditions in Marion County. Our service is not imposed by a “home office” located in another city or state. Of course, the biggest benefit is to me, I see my customers at the grocery store, the golf course, and at local functions. Over the years, many have become my friends.
If pest issues arise between our regularly scheduled visits, we return - at no additional charge! You can have peace of mind knowing that Brick City Pest Control has your home and your family protected from the constant and ever-changing threat of pests.